This smooth chocolaty hazelnut spread will instantly replace any store bought hazelnut spreads in your pantry. Best part? It will satisfy any cravings without all that excess processed sugar. So go ahead and indulge, we won’t judge if you eat it by the spoonful. Feel free to add this spread to recipes for an extra delicious boost of chocolate hazelnut goodness. If you are low on time, consider using pre-roasted and peeled hazelnuts as it is much quicker and easier than roasting them yourself.
Healthy Hazelnut Spread
- 1 1/2 cup Hazelnuts (*if using pre-roasted, peeled hazelnuts, skip to step four)
- 3 tbsp Liquid Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup (can be substituted with another natural sweetener. Note: It may alter the flavour)
- 1/2 cup Milk (or Plant Based Milk Alternative)
- Pinch Salt
Roast hazelnuts in oven at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.
Remove nuts from oven and let sit for a minute to cool slightly. If the hazelnuts cool too much, the skins will be more difficult to remove, so remove the skins as soon as you can tolerate the heat.
Place roasted hazelnuts in a towel and rub vigorously until skins fall off. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
Recipe revised on Jan 17, 2019.