Summer is all about getting outside or lounging in the sun, and we all know how important it is to stay hydrated. So we’ve come up with five ways to beautify your drinks while keeping them cool.
Note that the fruit subtly alters the flavour of your drinks so keep that in mind when choosing flavour combos.
- Prepare your fruit (sliced, cubed, or whole).
- Freeze fruit on a baking tray until frozen, up to one hour. *
- When ready to serve, place some frozen fruit in your glass with your drink.
*If you are preparing fruit ahead of time, transfer to a freezer safe container to avoid freezer burn.
Fresh and Frozen Flowers
Any flower placed in a drink must edible. Some of our favourites are daisies, violets, chamomile, and roses.
- Fill your glass about 1/2 of an inch full with water.
- Gently place your flowers in the water and place the glass in the freezer until completely frozen, approximately 1-2 hours (we used mason jars and secured the lids before freezing to prevent freezer burn).
- When frozen, pour in another 1/4 inch of water in the glass, and place back into the freezer for approximately another hour.
- Store in the freezer until ready to serve
- Place petels* in an ice cube tray and fill with water
- Put in freezer until completely frozen
*Use larger petels to avoid accidentally swallowing after the ice has melted.
- Place in your drinks just before serving
- Prepare (sliced, cubed, or whole) and skewer fruit
- Fill a popsicle mould with water and place fruit skewer in the mould (top up with water if needed).
- Place in freezer until completely frozen.
- When ready to serve, place in drinks and enjoy!
Serve in fruit bowls
- Hollow out fruit and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
We love using Coconuts, Watermelon, Pineapple, and Dragon fruit.
Fruit Ice Cubes
- Prepare fruit (sliced, cubed, or whole), and place into ice cube tray.
- Fill with water and place in freezer until frozen.
We also love adding herbs like peppermint, chamomile, and basil.