Lavender is one of the safest and most versatile essential oils. We love Lavender because of its calming scent and usefulness in just about everything, from aromatherapy to beauty products. Lavender essential oil is created by steam distilling the flowers of the lavender plant. Approximately 75 pounds of lavender flowers are required to produce an 8oz bottle of essential oil! This goes to show how packed with punch one single drop is.
Lavender (Lavandula Augustifolia)
- Sweet and Floral
- Heals and soothes skin irritation (Including eczema, acne rosacea, and psoriasis)
- Promotes relaxation (reduces anxiety and stress)
- Aids sleep
- Relives headaches and migraines
- Treats burns, sunburns, and irritated skin
- Fights acne and heals blemishes
- Eases pain (muscle, nerve , and menstrual cramps)
- Treatment for cuts, scrapes, burns, bites, and stings.
- Essential oils are very potent and should always be diluted.
- Lavender essential oil is one of the very few that can be applied neat (directly on the skin) in small doses.
- If used topically dilute with a carrier oil (such as coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil) to avoid skin irritation. These carrier oils are necessary to prevent the essential oil from evaporating into the air and losing potency. As an added bonus, Carrier oils are extremely beneficial for the skin as well.
- Essential oils are NEVER to be ingested
- Do not use on babies under three months
- Use with caution (consult with doctor) on children under 12.
*Essential oils are very concentrated and should be used with care. Talk to your doctor before using if you are pregnant or nursing. Keep away from children and pets. When using essential oils we recommend talking to your doctor and researching about the the benefits and cautions to insure it is the right fit for you.
Curtis, S. (2016). Essential oils: All-natural remedies and recipes for your mind, body, and home. NY, NY: DK Publishing.
Keniston-Pond, K. (2017). Essential oils 101: Your guide to understanding and using essential oils: From all-natural remedies to household cleaning, everyday uses for 100 essential oils. Avon, MA: Adams Media.